GST is an indirect tax levied on the supply of goods and services. GST was introduced in the year 2017 on 1st of June. GST registration is mandatory for every taxpayer. The taxpayer should be eligible while registering his business under GST such as the annual turnover of the business should be above 20 lakh rupees and (10 lakh for the North-Eastern States), along with this the taxable person should complete GST return filing periodically or monthly.
As soon as the GST registration is completed the taxpayer will be provided with GSTIN (Goods and Service Tax Identification Number).
So basically, what is GST number (GSTIN) and how to get GST number for a new business.
There is a structure for GSTIN which is generated by the government, following described is the format of GSTIN.
GSTIN is a 15 digit unique code which will be provided by the government as soon as the registration procedure is completed.
- The first two digits will be the state code.
- The next 10 digits will be your PAN card number.
- The thirteenth digit will indicate the entity of PAN holder in the same state.
- “Z” will be the default letter as the fourteenth digit.
- The last digit will be the checksum digit.
The procedure to get GST number (GSTIN) for new businesss.
- Visit the GST registration portal.
- You have to fill the details like State & District, Select a name of the business, PAN number, registered E-mail id, and Contact details and proceed.
- TRN (Temporary reference number) will be provided on the website after confirmation. This number will be sent on your provided E-mail ID and Contact number as well. This number should be noted, as this number will be utilized for completing the further procedure.
- Later on, once again you have to visit the GST portal and click on Register now.
- Here the taxpayer has to enter the TRN (Temporary reference number) which you received a few minutes back.
- After entering the TRN, you will receive an OTP on registered Contact number/E-mail ID, enter the same and proceed further.
- The application will be shown in Draft, you can edit it if required.
- Mention the Business details and the list of documents such as Bank details, Incorporation form, Passport sized photographs, Business proof.
- Submit and visit verification page, and submit required documents such as DSC(Digital Signature Certificate).
- After the submission of DSC a link will submit an OTP on contact number linked with Aadhar Card and with EVC, the OTP will be sent on the contact number provided on the portal.
- You will be provided with the ARN (Application Reference Number) which will be delivered on your registered Contact number and E-mail ID.
This provided ARN will help you to track the GST application status while GST registration procedure is taking place.
- After completion of this procedure, you will receive the GST number on registered mail id.
You can easily complete the online procedure for getting GST number for new business by visiting Online GST website.